Friday, August 28, 2009

Chainsaw Granny!


I would like y'all to meet my grandmother. Her name is Mary Aneda. She goes by Anita. She is a true hero of mine. She turned 85 last week. Granny told me a few years back that middle age starts at 75, old age is at 115!
Needless to say, you can see the spunk in her words alone.

Granny doesn't drive anywhere much other than in her little town. In 1983, when she traded in her 1968 Dodge Dart, it had close to 11,000 miles. She bought a Dodge Neon in 2005. When I was visiting with her last July when this picture was taken, it had 3200 miles on the odometer.... back to why you needed to know that. My Aunt Donna normally brings Granny to town. It is about a 5 hour drive,Granny normally stays for 2 weeks when she does come. Someone from our family normally takes her home. Anyway,
they had just arrived and Myra and I started to unload the Granny's suit cases from the trunk. We discovered she had brought a chainsaw. We both looked at each other with great dismay and questions running through our minds. We knew better than to vocally ask why there was a chain saw. We just kept our mouth shut and did what we were suppose to.

The next morning after breakfast, we were cleaning in the kitchen, and all of a sudden the buzz of a chainsaw was heard outside in the back yard. We immediately ran to the windows and doors to see what was going on... and there she was..... my wonderful 72 year old grandmother had climbed a tree and was trimming limbs off of it for my mother! Why couldn't she ask a younger sprout of a son in law to do this??
There were two of them within hollering distance! She said she came with a purpose, that that was part of it! Did I mention she is a very determined and independent woman??

Since that day, we lovingly call her Chainsaw Granny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...I love it! She would be an AWESOME Granny! I can see just why you love her! =)

Christie Cottage said...

Too funny! We should all be so spry!


High FIve her for me!

http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

Holly said...

She's such a sweetheart! Thanks for introducing us to her. :-)